Thrifty Spending Issue 101: Did you know…

…about the Hill-Burton Act?

The Act provides that hospitals, nursing homes and other health facilities that received government money provide free or reduced-cost services to patients.

If you have pending medical debt and are not able to afford it, you can check on the Health Resources and Services Administration website at to see if the facility that provided you the medical services is listed. If they are listed as a Hill-Burton obligated facility, they received government money and must provide free or reduced-cost services to patients in return for the money received.

If you find the facility on their site, you must apply for the free or reduced-cost care. You may still apply after care has been provided and even after a bill has been turned over to a collection agency.

Return to Thrifty Spending Issue 101