DMCC understands that filing bankruptcy can be a difficult process. We also understand that each person seeking assistance has a unique financial situation. We have certified credit counselors who are prepared to provide you with the counseling you need. During your pre-filing counseling session a counselor will work one-on-one with you to develop a detailed personal financial assessment as required by the U.S. Trustee.
We will review your income, expenses, assets and liabilities, and determine your net worth. This will provide a clear understanding of your financial situation. From this point, we will create a plan of action that will assist you with your financial goals.
You may complete your pre-filing counseling session by telephone from the comfort of your home, or if you prefer, you may visit our office for face-to-face counseling. We are available business days on Monday through Thursday from 9:00am until 5:00pm and on Friday from 9:00am until 2:00pm ET.
You may choose to have your certificate emailed, faxed or mailed, and you may pay for the counseling session before or after you complete it. Payment may be made by credit card, debit card or PayPal by clicking below:
Prior to providing us any of your information or obtaining our counseling services, we must provide you the following disclosures:
1. The counseling fee for both individuals and couples filing jointly is $50, whether provided over the telephone or face-to-face. Payments are accepted in the form of credit card, debit card, money order, or check.
2. The counseling fee may be waived or reduced, if you are unable to pay. Ability to pay will be based on 150% of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services poverty guidelines. Please download our Income Verification Form and send completed form to DMCC by fax to 954-414-9339 or email to email@example.com.
3. The counseling is offered in English and Spanish. Consumers who cannot understand English or Spanish, either spoken or written, must provide a translator at their cost.
4. DMCC receives funding in the form of grants from government agencies and other third parties, client fees for processing debt management plans, and voluntary contributions from creditors.
5. A certified credit counselor employed by DMCC will be conducting the counseling session. Each counselor has obtained and maintains certification from an independent accreditation organization recognized by industry regulators and creditors.
6. Filing for bankruptcy may have a negative effect on your credit report. If you elect to enroll in a debt management plan as an alternative to filing bankruptcy, your creditors may report it as “consumer credit counseling” or “CC” on your credit report and as a result, your credit rating and score may be adversely affected. DMCC has no control over credit reporting or interpretation, as it is strictly a creditor and lender decision.
7. DMCC does not pay or receive fees or other consideration for the referral of consumers to or by our organization.
8. Once the counseling has been completed, DMCC will promptly provide the certificate of completion to you, provided any required counseling fee has been paid. The certificate of completion is valid for 180-days following the completion of the counseling.
9. You may have the opportunity to obtain an alternative debt management plan for the payment of your unsecured debts for additional fees. DMCC provides these services, but not in every state. If you reside in a state that DMCC does not provide this service, we can refer you to another approved agency that does.
10. DMCC may disclose your personal information to the U.S. Trustee in connection with their oversight of our organization, or during the investigation of complaints, on-site visits or quality service reviews.
11. The U.S. Trustee has reviewed only DMCC’s credit counseling services and its services as a provider of a personal financial management instructional course pursuant to 11 U.S.C. 111(d), and has neither reviewed nor approved any other services provided by DMCC to consumers.
12. You will receive the required certificate only if you complete our counseling services and pay the appropriate fee, if any.
13. You agree to hold DMCC, including its officers, directors, employees, and volunteers, harmless from any claim, suit, or action resulting from this service. Nothing herein shall apply to actions or claims under the provisions of the United State Bankruptcy code, 11 U.S.C. Sec. 101 et seq.
To schedule a pre-bankruptcy counseling session, please call 866-724-3328 and ask to speak to a bankruptcy counselor.